Thursday, September 22, 2011

Green Snake? ... I was somewhere doing something on the patio of my friend's house. It was darkish, after sundown. Along the edge of the patio, some leafless vines hung down like long dark slender pods of an exotic plant. I kept looking at them because a bird was making a fuss and I really expected to find a snake. Eventually, one of the pods DID reveal itself to be a slender snake! I reached for it and as I retrieved it from the shadows, it was obviously a common green snake (docile, non-poisonous, garden variety here in the US). I carried it in my hands toward the house, but it became agitated and was making a noise (not a hissing like you would expect!). It sounded like a distress cry, short, loud for the animal's size, and mouth fully opened. ... it didn't try to bite? because without venom, I am too big and strong for a duel, so the snake would be doomed.

Still, I found a green snake, and it was not too happy about being captured and carried. Is it pertinent that I was carrying it in my left hand?

No comments:

Post a Comment